From today’s Charleston Daily Mail:
Note: Good for them. See my former post regarding Nifong here.
38 former Duke lacrosse players plan to sue
More than three dozen former Duke University lacrosse players said they would file a lawsuit Thursday seeking damages in connection with the infamous rape case that was later dropped.
The 38 players’ attorneys said they would announce the claims in their federal civil action at the National Press Club in Washington.
“All of this will be discussed tomorrow,” said Bob Borg, a spokesman for the players.
The action would be the latest of at least three lawsuits that have been filed since a North Carolina attorney general dropped charges in April against three Duke lacrosse players who had been indicted on criminal charges for the March 2006 alleged rape of a woman who performed as an exotic dancer at a party off the Durham, N.C., campus.
Two other suits have been filed by the three players who were indicted and three others who weren’t indicted.
The prosecutor, Mike Nifong, was disbarred when a panel found he withheld evidence from the defense.
The three formerly indicted players, Reade Seligmann of Essex Fells, N.J.; Collin Finnerty of Garden City, N.Y., and David Evans of Bethesda, Md., have sued Nifong and the city of Durham but reached a settlement with Duke.
In December, players Breck Archer, of East Quogue, N.Y., Ryan McFadyen of Mendham, N.J., and Matthew Wilson, of Durham, N.C., filed a lawsuit against Duke, Nifong and the city of Durham, among other entities.